This project was inspired by a trend on r/languagelearning where people would post world maps with the countries colored by the languages they spoke. I decided to build an actual dedicated web app that would automatically color the countries themselves.
To do this required a lot of data gathering and cleaning. Doing that itself was
an arduous process that had a lot of false starts. The final method I settled on
was to use Google Sheets
importhtml function, which could be used to import
Wikipedia tables to a spreadsheet. To automate this I used Python and gspread.
It was definitely a lesson in data gathering and cleaning.